Luckily, my husbands presents weren't ones to be "opened" on my birthday. My husband really outdid himself this year though with my gifts, both gifts being ones that I loved but hadn't done in awhile. The first gift was one that I don't know if every person would love but I sure did. He signed me up for my first running race in 8 years. Just a 10K but still....it was a race. The last time I ran a race was before I was pregnant with Andie. I am not a great runner by any means but I am
Morning of the race was cold (like 32 degrees cold) and I love running in tshirts so I got a few weird looks. I wanted to beat my 10K time 8 years ago of 55:30 and I did by about 4 minutes which rocked. I ran the last mile with two 10 year old boys (who actually go to my daughters school). So it was fun because they were getting a lot of cheers. I definitely would have been cheering for them if I wasn't breathing so hard and my competitiveness kicked in and I really wanted to beat them over the finish line....pretty sad right. Well....one beat me so that is good :)
And my other present was one I think all would agree was an amazing present. Our first getaway together (without kids) in 8 years. I know, I know....we were a little overdue. His parents came to watch the three kiddos and off we went for two days to Red Wing, MN. Just a little drive for us. It was a beautiful time of year to visit. We had about 48 hours and we packed just about everything you could into those 48 hours. I was a little concerned about how Caleb would do since he cries when I am gone for even an hour but he was great for the grandparents. Cutest thing happened before we left...my 4 year old, Isaac is definitely a daddy's boy. He loves his dad, until daddy starts tickling his mom....then watch out. Isaac gets mad. For real. He does not like the thought of me being attacked whatsoever. (Even if it is Craig just playing around and tickling me). So right before we left, Isaac looked up at Craig with big, concerned eyes and said "who will protect mommy from you tickling her if I'm not there". So we promised Isaac that there would be no shenanigans and off we went. Melted my heart to think of my boy so concerned about the state of his mom though.
First stop....you can't visit Red Wing without checking out where it all began. The shoe museum and a shot of the World's biggest boot. We actually took the pic to show our kids "Paul Bunyan's boot" when we got home. Had fun checking out this place though.
Next stop.....Flower Valley Vineyard. I have never been to a vineyard and this one is picturesque. The awesome part about it was that we were there on a Thursday afternoon so we were the only ones so the owner greeted us at the door dripping in the last of the seasons grapes he had just picked. He gave us a tour and a tasting and just talked to us all about his history, the history of the farm, grapes, etc. We had an awesome time. Took a little walk around the vineyard and just enjoyed the scenery.
Next stop...walking on the river. Shot of Barn bluff.....this is the hike that we had planned for the next day. Excited to get to the top of that bluff!! Dinner out and then an exciting night of ........watching tv. Oh yeah. We have not had cable in the house for 4 years so we went home and just watched a movie, uninterrupted....it was pretty awesome.
Next day dawned bright and beautiful. A little breakfast and coffee and it was time for Barn Bluff. We decided to take the difficult side because we heard it was little more picturesque. And it was. The lack of railings/cliffs/overlooks at some points made it not kid friendly and we discovered that Craig still has a slight fear of heights.
Craig was a little afraid when I was standing here....but there is a good foot behind me of ground. It was pretty amazing, especially since we were the only ones here that day. We had a great view of the valley for miles and miles.
Town of Red Wing, nestled in the valley.
I was supposed to be looking like that guy in the picture...not quite....
Nap, bike ride and a wonderful dinner capped off our 24 hours. Very fun to hang out with my best friend for 48 hours, uninterrupted. At first it was really weird though to not have business to attend to, to not have nap time to talk about, work around, etc. We were driving in the car and we gave each other a look that almost said "now what". What do we do, what do we talk about, etc. We have really just been in the parenting groove for so long it was weird and wonderful at the same time to take a step back and just be the two of us for a bit.
So it had been awhile for both the run and the weekend alone with the hubs.......both were good for my soul and I am hopeful that we won't wait another 8 years to do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment