Saturday May 11, 2013 was a red-letter day for Andie. It will be looked back on with fond memories for all involved I think. It was the day that Andie purchased her American Girl Doll.
A little history before the event. The former owner's of our house had twin 9 year old girls. They loved American Girl dolls and thus received the catalog. When we moved in the catalog kept coming and so December 2012, Andie first laid eyes on an American Girl doll. Well, she's seen them before, but the catalog got her really excited. I honestly thought it would be a passing phase. She often says "I want this or that" and then 2 days later she is on to the next thing. I told her she would need to save a chunk of her own money to put toward the doll because they were so expensive. We also wanted to teach her a little bit of what delayed gratification looks like and we wanted to instill in her the value of earning money and saving for something you really want. Our kids have been very blessed with toys and books over the years and we feel so grateful and blessed by this fact but they haven't yet had to work for something they really wanted and we know that this is important as well.
I thought she would forget about the doll in two days. She put it on her Christmas list. It did not come.
So Andie, who can barely save a quarter because she likes to buy all sorts of knick knacks and treats, started saving hard core. I knew that she was really serious about the doll when she earned $0.50 at Awanas that was intended to purchase a pop with in the pop machine and she brought it home for her "American Girl doll fund". Oh boy...this is for real.
So after 5 months of earning and saving her money (with a few SMALL purchases here and there) and after having a 6th birthday she had enough to purchase her American Girl doll. We received an invitation for a Bridal Shower for my cousin and since it was also in Minneapolis (as well as the American Girl doll store) the date was set. My mom and Grandma were also able to come with to shop for the doll and then go the Bridal shower afterwards.
And we all had a BLAST. I was never big into dolls but this American Girl doll stuff is really fun (and expensive) Andie had received a gift card from Craig's parents to go toward an outfit and my mom also put in money for an outfit. She bought Caroline a nightgown "so her clothes won't get ruined by sleeping in them." and she bought her a "church dress".
Since the beginning of savings Andie has really been set on getting Caroline as her American Girl Doll. She is a doll from 1812 so I LOVE that she chose a historical doll and that we get to read all the books about Caroline and how life was for her in the 1800's. I also really like all the outfits from then too.
Craig was adamant that we take out cash for her to use (we have been saving it for her in her savings account) and NOT use our debit card so she would have a concrete idea on how much money the doll was. He wanted her to use 10's to see just HOW much money the doll was and to know that she had to work hard and earn and save for a lot of the money (like I said - some was gifted some was earned). I really appreciate Craig's background in Financial aid at colleges at times like these with our kids. Craig has seen all sorts of things with student loan debt and really thinks about ways we can train our own kids to have an idea about the value of a dollar. I don't generally think about this like he does.
After the purchase:
Waiting to get Caroline for the first time:
Successful day at the American Girl Doll store:
Great job guys. What a fun memory for her and a great way to teach her about money. Loved it.
ReplyDeleteLOVE! We will be right behind you on the American Girl thing :) I had one and loved it and still have it all....What a fun memory to share!
ReplyDelete