So this happened this week:
I don't even want to talk about it yet.
So we will move on to something more fun. Mosquitoes have been at an all time high this year with all the rain. Even my essential oil friends are using deet. The bugs have been bad and it has limited our desire to go in the woods. But with all that happened with unmentioned picture above and a birthday coming up for me and nothing on the calendar today we decided to make a family day out of it. We had heard rumor of a mythical land in Minnesota where there is a lack of mosquitoes within an hour and a half of us. We laughed at the rumors....too good to be true. But people kept telling us of this place and so we felt today was the day we should check it out. Like true skeptics....we packed the deet just to be safe.
A quest to Whitewater State Park: The land of no (or few) mosquitoes!!
Upon arrival it was cool and beautiful. This is bluff country and it is beautiful Looking a little damp....the mosquitoes will be out today for sure I thought.
But as we explored a chimney rock
Some overlooks
And hiked on top of a bluff through the woods, I did not notice a single mosquito. Hallelujah!! The rumors are true!!
We sat for some inspiration at "Inspiration point". The kids sat because I made them because we were extremely high up, open on three sides with no guard rails. My Inspiration Point time was a beautiful, somewhat stressful time.
But we got a good family shot.
I love seeing my little hikers in the woods.
At the bottom of the trail we came to the swim beach, made out of a little oxbow in the river. It was cool and clear and the sand was super soft.
Perfect for races.
After some canoeing, we made our way to the Elba Fire tower. We heard there were 635 stairs to get up the side of the bluff and up to the top of the tower. I would believe it.
Here we are after about 575 stairs with the scariest ones to go.
Craig made it about halfway up....the kids and I braved it the other half to see the view. It was super windy and Craig could have gutted it out to get up there but I don't think he was feeling it today....
On the way down the kids backed it down.....which felt a little safer.
Whitewater State Park....Number 14 for us of MN State parks. On the Sanderson Rating system it received an 8 (from 1 to 10) which is a pretty solid score. More points from Isaac (who gave it a 10) because he is the one that is usually attacked the most by the mosquitoes. Loved it and it was a wonderful relief from the bugs and a fun new place to explore!
No comments:
Post a Comment