Tuesday, June 5, 2012

On the ride of our lives

Determining a name for our blog came to me before the idea of actually doing a blog.  I have been refelcting a LOT lately on something I learned during my college years.  I was a seeker of all things in college.  I had an emptiness inside that I sought to have filled.  I sought to fill it with drinking and unhealthy relationships only to be disappointed.  I sought acheivement athletically and academically but those disappointed as well.  As I look back I can also see that I sought the Lord, or rather, He was seeking me.  He wanted me to know that only He could fill the void that I felt.  At one point, I even attended a Fellowship of Christian Athletes bible study.  Now, in all honesty, I attended because I thought some of the guys were pretty cute, but now I can see that God was seeking me through the experience. 

This brings me back to the name of this blog.  One bible study left me with a visual that struck a cord with me and has never left me.  The leaders had us pretend we were in a river and there was a rowboat and God was in the boat.  They said we had some options about how we were going to get down the river.  First, we could choose whether or not we would be in the boat with God.  Many people do not choose this option.  They do not see the boat as life-saving.  They choose to fight the raging river on their own instead of climbing in the boat with God.  Instead of recognizing that only in the boat would we live, some people take their chances on their own in the river and this ultimately leads to death.

So if we get in the boat with God.  If we recognize that only He can save us from destruction and death.  If we accept Him as our personal savior...we still have some choices as to how we get down the river.

Here's where it gets a little technical.  In a crew team, there is one person who can actually see down the river.  This person is called the coxswain, or simply, the cox. The cox faces the bow, steers the boat and coordinates the power and rhythm of the rowers.  The rest of the rowers sit backwards.  They cannot see the river.  They cannot see if its peaceful or rough, smooth or full of obstacles.  Only the coxswain sees the river.

If you have chosen to follow God, you are now one of His rowers.  He is the ultimate coxswain.  He is the only one who can see down the river, He is the only one who can control how the boat is going to go down the river.  We are the rowers and we have a choice to make as to how we are going to go down the river.  Will we listen to the coxswain (God) or not.

There have been times in my life in which I did NOT listen.  In fact, there have been times in which I have down the opposite of what God has asked me to do.  I have lied, gossiped, sinned in anger, read or watch material I KNOW I should not have been.  Those parts of the river have been rough.  I can look back and see where I tried rowing agaist God.  I have fought Him for my own selfishness and the result is always unhappiness.

There have also been times when God has asked something of me and I have done nothing.  I have the oars in my hands but I'm not moving them.  He has asked we to row without looking at what was coming and I've sat there and thought "That sounds like too much work" or "that is unchartered waters....I don't feel comfortable with that".

And there have been times when He's asked me to row and I have just listen and done it.  The water can still be rough but I am rowing how the only One who can see my future wants me to.  There is an unbelieveable peace that comes when I recognize that I don't have to see what's ahead....I just have to trust in the One that can see.

Starting this blog comes at an important time in the Sanderson household.  We are moving to a new place.  We are leaving our friends, our only home we have known as a family, our wonderful church home and family.  We KNOW that God is asking us to "row" in this direction.  Craig has been praying for an opportunity to have a change in responsibilities at work and God has given us one.  I'm not going to lie about the move....I am anxious.  I want to see down the river.  I want to know when the house will sell, what the new house will be like, what our church will be like, who our friends will be but I cannot see it.  God can....and He's asking me to keep rowing in this direction.  I know nothing of the upcoming obstacles but I have a choice to make.  Today I will choose to follow the One who can see it all.  Today, I will keep rowing, knowing He has the path figured out.  Today, I will not be anxious in not knowing but excited that God has given me this opportunity to grow in my faith in Him. 

Jeremiah 29:11-13  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

2 comments:

  1. Your words ring true in my heart as well! I always feel like I could just change the name and your statements could be said for my life too! Kind of like those songs you hear that you felt were written just for you ;) I am so thankful that God brought our paths together for this short time! You are such a blessing to me and even though I am sad that after next week we won't be journeying as closely, I know that we will remain friends and God will continue to teach me through that friendship! As for your post, I want to just say "ditto" and encourage you how awesome it is to be able to see the parts of the river that you have already traveled and see without a doubt that God has brought you the best route!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Sarah! I'm so excited to get to keep up with your family through your blog.

    ReplyDelete