A year ago I was pretty lonely. We had been here for about 8 months and I knew a lot of acquaintances but was really missing good friends. Right before we moved, I remember sitting in the bible study, surrounded by close friends. I was acting and feeling so brave as I talked about moving and knowing I was going to have a "desert" of friends. I boldly talked about how I hoped I would let God change me and refine me through that. I left the comfortable room filled with smiles on faces I recognized and could hear laughter as I walked down the hall and knew exactly whose laugh it was and now I look back and realize that while I may have thought I was ready.....I was not ready for the loneliness a move brings. I was boldly talking about what I hoped would happen during the lonely period of time I knew was in my future, a desert of friends, while I was sitting next to a well of water.....many women who I considered dear friends. Looking back, I realize how arrogant it was of me to talk about how I knew I would be lonely while in the presence of so many friends. I really had no idea what loneliness felt like in that moment. A few months later I did. I missed friends. Friends who I can tell exactly what is going on or what I am thinking and they laugh or nod and I know no judgement is going on in their heads. Oh how I prayed what I felt was a "middle school prayer" the first year we lived here:
Lord, I pray for a good friend. Teach me to be a good friend in this time when I am in a "desert" of friendships. Help me to know what it looks like to be a good friend in Your eyes. I pray that this time of loneliness does not come up null and void but You use it for your glory....refine me in this time. But Lord........a good friend would be great......
It's hard to even write those words because they look weak and juvenile, simple but so much feeling behind them for me. I was so very lonely for a good friend after our move. And slowly, slowly, slowly (these things take time right) God has placed some amazing women in my life. Two of them and myself meet on a somewhat regular basis in the "Midnight Girls Club" which is what Craig starting calling us based on the length of time we would be gone for these nights out. I think he meant it in a teasing term but I love it!! Oh, Midnight Girls....you are really an answer to a deep aching prayer of mine a year ago. I am so very grateful for you ladies. You make me laugh and I always, always leave our meetings in deep thought over my walk with the Lord. A great combination if you ask me. So we have been studying 1000 Gifts together and I was reminded at our last meeting of making my list of things I am grateful for. I have not been making the list too much this summer....a few things here or there. This is so like me. I am super gung-ho at first and then I get busy and it phases out. So I HAVE been jotting a few things down over the summer and completely want to have it here for my sake. I was not nearly so great at keeping up with it over the summer. I really think it was because our summer was busy, fun, adventuresome, etc....but all the more reason to look back and reflect on it and thank God for all that took place this summer. Isn't this the root of my complacency at times? Not taking time to stop and truly look at my life and thank God for all the moments that make up my life. I don't know about you but discontentment is much harder after making a list of ways I am grateful for my life today.
101. The heat of the sun on my shoulders
102. Cloudless, blue sky
103. A trial for Craig at work.....a refining fire and has made him cling to the Lord for guidance.
104. Sand between my toes.
105. The feel of diving under the water
106. Sleeping in (once....seriously....but it was lovely)
107. A few days in which people were coming and going....fun having a house full and the hustle and bustle of friends and family.
108. Smell of pine in the air
109. Generous family who share their 2nd home with us.
110. Crystal clear lake waters
111. picking wild raspberries, having it stain our fingers, the warm juice in my mouth
112. Watching the kids play with "old school" toys (army men and indians, bow and arrow)
113. Craig making hot breakfasts on vacation
114. All 3 kids finding and developing and playing in a secret hideout
115. The feel of camping with the security and comfort of a home
116. The haunting sound of loons at dusk
117. Hot coffee with
118. Reading my bible wrapped under a blanket
119. Running with a friend
120. Reconnecting with some friends from IA. Seriously it felt like conversation picked up right where it left off a year ago. There is something special about friendships with some history to them. Grateful for being able to spend some quality time with you Kinzenbaws even if we do not have the "day it and day out" contact we did before.
121. Cold chocolate ice cream on a hot day
122. Giggles from my children
123. Pillow fights
124. Last zoo trip of summer....my dad taking the time to come with.
125. Refreshing rain on my face at the end of a 6 mile run.
I could really go on and on about the summer, but I was a bit of a slacker and did not work on my list a lot this summer. But those were 25 things I was grateful for this summer.
YOU are an answer to prayer too, Sarah!!! So very blessed by our book study and the friendships through it!! I need to write some more "gifts" down tonight!
ReplyDeleteLoved spending time with you guys too...like I said, there are friends that you just feel "home" with where ever you are and you are one of them!!! Love you!
ReplyDelete