September 4th, 2014 was a day I was dreading a bit. Oh...parts of me were super excited for it as well.....especially those days in which the kids would be fighting, etc. A day when not one but two of my children were school-aged and ready to go. A day when I would have just one more child at home.
But I woke up today, showered, made my coffee, made the children their breakfasts, packed lunch for two children, wrote two "I love you, have a good day" notes for lunch boxes, helped children get backpacks ready, took some pictures and away we went. It all seemed very normal and natural to walk two children to school and Isaac was all business as we walked into his Kindergarten classroom and waited in line to get a hand print made with paint for a project they would do later and carefully put his name under the "cold lunch" category. He sat down at his desk surrounded by 4 other kids and started to build with blocks that were in the middle of the table. "bye buddy, have a good day" I said and gave him one more hug. He looked at me with a serious face and even more seriously told me "I know I will mom" and I was off.
I did have tears, later as I was walking home. I love watching the children grow, I love watching them ready for the next chapter in their life but it is hard as a mom....I also want them to stay young, even though I realize that is not possible. Grow they do, and after 5 and a half years Isaac was excited to go to school, to meet new friends, to learn new things, to have adventures. Isaac will need me still but in different ways now. I am excited for his new adventures as a kindergartner but I will miss him terribly and the house seems a whole lot quieter today.
My kindergartner:
2nd Grade and super excited, "how many more days until I get to go to school" was the question she asked constantly these past few weeks. Her teacher is so great this year and when I put down "I want Andie to continue to enjoy learning" as a goal for Andie this year, her teacher got excited about it and talked about how she wanted all her students to have that goal. To love to learn. She also is really into science and has toads, Hip and Hop in her room and Monarch caterpillars and chyrsallis and butterflies and they are starting the year by looking at all the stages and releasing butterflies, etc. That is right up Andie's alley!
Isaac thoroughly (because he is thorough with everything) washing his hands after making his hand print.
Ready to start this new adventure!!
Oh my word Sarah. I am crying just reading it. You are one amazing momma and I pray God will cover you with His love during this transition time.
ReplyDelete