Even after Labor day we had a few days for "meet the Teacher" conferences:
And FINALLY....the first day of school arrived. This pretty much sums up how they were feeling. Andie and Isaac are veterans at this point and couldn't wait to get to school and Caleb wasn't so sure how he felt about it.
Walking the kids to school the first few days looked like this. I had to remind them that they WOULD hug me when we got there because I AM there mother. I will take this over literally dragging Isaac kicking and screaming to school last year.
But then.......
I have a sort of Seasonal Affective Disorder that has nothing to do with the amount of sunlight I get but everything to do with the season of life I am in right now. September Sadness is the term I have come up with my disorder and it happens every year to me in one of my all time favorite months. It is the month that I feel a part of me is missing because two of my most important people are in school for 6 and a half hours a day and I miss them. Plain and simple.
But school has been oh so very good for both of them. I know they are in the right place. Isaac becomes the boy I remember once he hits all the superstructure that is school. He thrives there. Andie loves school as well and I remember daily why we have chosen public schooling for them as they come home and excitedly tell me about their days.
But in my heart, I still miss them while they are gone. And so September, which is one of my all time favorite months because of fall and birthdays and apples and orchards and hiking now has a little tinge of sadness around the edges. And its ok. I have started to recognize that in myself. I do a little more walking and baking in fall because those two things seem to make me feel a little better. I enjoy my weekends and evenings with the whole family more. I am more sensitive. I pray more.
September.....has been filled with so many wonderful memories this year. Our state parks yearly Harvest Festival:
Trying out our local Apple Orchard and doing a little apple picking:
Family walks in our footsies:
Feeding our local homeless/nearly homeless in the area before they have a class on building a resume/interviewing.
Birthday date with the Hubs: a suprise 2 and half hour ziplining canopy tour in the area. Craig...you nailed it this year!
And embracing all the time we do have after school. Watching Isaac teach his little brother how to play baseball and field grounders. He has worn me out with catching and I think is trying to groom another person to take over.
And taking MANY walks with my little biker:
I have sort of come to the conclusion that this is how I am. I will miss the kids when they are not with me but I also know they are where they should be at the moment. There is a lot of peace in that but doesn't make me miss them less. It is a part of growing up....for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment