I've been meaning to blog for weeks (read - months!) I don't think there has ever been a time in my life when there has been so much happening....physically, mentally, spiritually. And I have been wanting to write it all down - all that we have learned these past months, all that we have done, all that the Lord and our friends have been doing and teaching us. But frankly, we have been so busy living, growing, learning, moving, cleaning, learning, learning, learning.....that I have barely had a moment to pause and reflect on ALL that has taken place recently.
So, while my youngest is napping peacefully in a room that is piled high with bins that contain our possessions while we are in limbo from one home (and state) to another. And my two older children are entertaining themselves in a room that is wall to wall with our (and my parents) toys and books, I am taking a break to reflect and record all that we are soooooo very grateful for.
This list is in no way comprehensive and at times will be general (so I don't feel like I am leaving out even one of the dear people that I am thankful for) but here it goes.
1. First and FOREMOST I am thankful for the "trial" we have been through (and still are going through) these past 9 months. Our trial is not HUGE in many people's eyes but it was a big deal to me this past year....and that is moving from the place we loved and called home for the past seven years. I am NOT a mover. I really could live in the same place my entire life and be content. Craig had a wonderful new opportunity and I felt the Lord telling me "it would be wrong to say No". Oh how I wanted to say no. No....I don't want to leave our home that we brought our babies home to. NO I don't want to leave the church we first became believers in and recognized our need of a Savior. NO I don't want to leave the friends and the bible studies I had grown so attached to. NO - I don't want to leave a neighborhood I love which also conveniently had a school in our backyard. I easily wanted to say No but I KNEW it would be wrong. So God led me through this trial in stages. I started using God as my "lucky rabbits foot" "God - sell our house quickly so I KNOW you want us to move" He said, "I have something better planned for you and in the process I will be here so you will learn to trust me ALWAYS" I had to learn to trust Him when we had NO ONE coming through the house. When we had a couple completely love our home then choose a new one. When we had someone purchase our home then the financing fell through. I had to trust Him when we had to give up the house we LOVED in MN because we didn't have a buyer for our house anymore.....and then 30 minutes later we did have a buyer and we got the house we wanted anyway.....but I wouldn't have REALLY learned this truth had we not had to go through all of those things. I wanted God to just give me what I wanted (our house to sell quickly) but He wanted me to learn to trust Him NO MATTER WHAT!! Ouch. Lots of growth here. And you no what, now that we are almost on the other side of this trial....I can see that His way was better. Just as He promises in Jeremiah 28:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
All I can say to this is AMEN. I would not have learned and completely trusted this truth from scripture had God not had me live it. Some people can. Some people can read that truth and completely embrace it. Not me, I had to live it....now I can see that God is true to His word. I trust this scripture and I know that there will be more trials and I know that God used this trial to teach me that He is faithful when He says He knows the plans for us.....He knows what is best for us. I pray that I am more faithful during the next trial that comes our way after having to really live this scripture for months while our house wasn't selling. I finally had to give it to God and say I cannot do anything.....all I can do is Trust that you can do this in your timing. What a completely freeing (yet sort of terrifying) moment. So thank you Lord for this trial. I would not be the woman I am now if it weren't for these past 9 months.
2. People. God really showed me the meaning of encouragment this past year. He put TONS of people in my life to encourage me through this trial. Just to name a few:
a. The Titus ladies from church - what a blessing they were. You ladies helped me to be brave when I felt like a coward. You ladies helped me take God at His word and not believe the lies of uncertainity I was hearing in my head. I was able to cry, laugh, rage, vent, laugh and cry some more with you. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
b. My neighbors the Lees and the Geests. Dana - I don't know if I would have made it without you during the week when Craig was out of the state. I was so thankful that we could always look outside to see if the Lee's were out to play with. And both Dana and Jody - I am soooo nervous about moving to a new neighborhood and not having neighbors like you two that I can call and ask a favor of, can you watch my kids, etc. Both of you helped so much when I needed help these past 4 months.
c. Our Small group from church. By having the kids and I over for meals, helping us clean, helping us load the truck, driving our extra car to Minnesota for us, bringing us boxes upon boxes and praying continually for us, you continually showed us what it meant to serve others. Wow...it was humbling to see how our friends reached out to us and provided for our needs. It makes me ask the question "Do I do that?....I WANT to do that and be that person" Thank you small group for being a true family to us when we didn't have our other family around.
d. Our parents. We are so blessed to have supportive parents. Craig's parents watched our kids while we packed and loaded. Mine are providing a home for us (which is not easy when there are 5 of us) while we are wating our new home in Minnesota.
e. Definitely my children. They have been resilient and joyful through all the changes that have been going on. They have helped me to refocus on what is important and what isn't. Everything that has happened in the last 9 months hasn't seemed stressful to them but an adventure. "We get to hide out in our van while people look at our home....let's spy on them". "We get to check out new woods in Minnesota to play in". "we get to spend 3 weeks at Papa and Nana's ." To most of these things my first reaction is have to instead of get to. So thankful to have three children to remind me that life is an adventure if you look at it the right way, not a trial.
3. I am so thankful for these Places!!
a. Ankeny - we will always have a special place for Ankeny. I loved starting our family here. I loved the apple orchard, Jester Park, the trails at Saylorville, walking to many parks and the library. You won't find a more family-orientated community!
b. Mankato - Soooo excited to start exploring this area. EEEEEE!!! I love the hills and all the trees and lakes and recreation right at our fingertips. We don't even have to go explore....it's just right there. We have a state park almost in our backyard. I am excited to see and explore this city.
c. Marshall - even when I leave for 15 years....I feel like it is still home when I come here. I love watching my kids play on the "big" Freedom park hill (that looks huge as a kid). Love that a hometown changes but still seems the same year after year.
4. And last but certainly not least....I am thankful that we will soon be all living under the same roof (in one week - Lord willing!) Yes, one week from today we will all wake up in the same house and begin our time in our new house and city. Craig will spend 20 minutes a day driving instead of an hour and half. We will get to see him throughout the week. I am sooo excited and thankful for having us all together again!!
So, that is just a start. I know I will post this and think....oh...I should have added _____! But Caleb won't sleep forever and the older two are being suspiciously quiet in their room (you know what that means) so I have to speak now or forever keep procrastinating this post!
No comments:
Post a Comment