Friday, January 18, 2013

Stopping by the woods...

on a winter morning.  Whenever we are out in the woods in the winter time I hear the Robert Frost poem of my youth in my head.  I will quote it to the kids and they are pretty impressed until I tell them someone else wrote it.  I get mixed up and muddle through on the middle stanzas of the poem so we always have to go home and look up the actual poem.  AHHHH but I love it out in the woods in the winter.  I think it is my favorite time to be out there.  And the conditions were just right this morning in MN to enjoy some time out there.  We had been cooped up quite a bit lately and both Isaac and I were itching for some fresh air and vitamin D.  The days have gotten to be a little rougher around here with my 3 and a half year old....we have been needing an outlet for our extra energy and this was just the right remedy for our pent up energy.

So....a new one for this blog.....a little bit of poetry on this fine January morning.  An oldie but goodie!

Whose woods these are I think I know.  
His house is in the village though;  
He will not see me stopping here  
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
 
 


 
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
 
He gives his harness bells a shake  
To ask if there is some mistake.  
The only other sound’s the sweep  
Of easy wind and downy flake.
 




The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment