So I know this is not just a Minnesota thing....but if you grow up in Minnesota, chances are you will learn to ice skate at some point. My home town had a free skating rink just down the street from our house when I was younger. And our new town has 3 or 4 FREE skating rinks around town. It is fun to drive by and see all the young kids (mostly boys) out skating around and playing hockey. It makes the REALLY cold weather a little more bearable. So when our community recreation booklet came to the house and I saw a learn to skate program for three and up I said "YES PLEASE!!" So Andie and Isaac were signed up and ready to go.
The kids could not wait to get their ice skates on even though we had a little time before lessons began so we laced them up and then spent the next 5 minutes watching the Zamboni smoothing out the ice. I had forgotten how exciting it could be to watch the Zamboni and so watch we did. Time for lessons. Andie stepped out without hesitation. Isaac slipped a bit and he became very scared. So Andie went out with the class and Isaac hung back with us and watched for a few minutes. I often forget that he is a full two years younger than her because he usually has very little fear and I get taken by suprise when he gets scared or behaves like a normal 3 and a half year old. So after a few tears he realized he wanted to be out on the ice and spent the next 25 minutes with a death grip on his teacher. But he was out there and he was having fun!! He got off the ice and was so excited to "be brave and go skating again" so I was VERY thankful it ended on a high note.
No bruises, no broken bones, all smiles....not quite skating on our own yet but sure having fun learning!
No comments:
Post a Comment