Oh and fall I did. I am not super graceful or coordinated but I have always prided myself on being athletic. Yep....I can stop seeing myself as a college athlete now. I am 33 years old, I have been retired from athletics for 11 years, and I had my first bad hiking injury. There goes all the pride. I can start seeing myself as a non-athlete (which, lets face it....I haven't been in that kind of shape for 11 years....this post is about 10 years and 10 months overdue)
So our last day of vacation was amazing. Craig had a tick today so we have all had one...badge of honor I guess. Last day at the cabin so it was bittersweet. Excited to drive home but really didn't want to leave. We asked the kids what they wanted to do for their last day and they gave us an extensive list.....including swimming, jumping off the dock, playing in secret hideout, 4 wheeling, canoeing, and hiking. Tall order but I said we could see what we could do. And at the end of the day I think we had checked all of it off our list.
Started the day by hiking. We started a trail in the National Forest that was not great so we turned around and decided to visit a couple of the other waterfalls....Meyer and Bull. They looked close and small hikes. The drive in to the hikes was very rugged and that made them seem so much more adventuresome. We were the only ones on the hikes and it looked like bear country big time so I had the kids yelling our "high low eeny meany kigh kigh mmmmm chop chop pee wah wah" chant. It is a chant from the Sanderson clan that they love singing and it helps to alert animals of our presence. It is also a great way to locate your kids at a campground, in the woods, etc if you can't quite see them. They usually just repeat it back to me or sometimes yell the corresponding chant of "A-dee, E-dee, I-dee, O-dee, U-HOOOO!!" Basically we just have a lot of fun being loud. As much as I enjoyed seeing a bear from the safety of our car the day before, I equally did not want to surprise one on the trail with my three kids in tow. So yell we did.
The falls were awesome. Well, the actual falls weren't that great but the hikes and surrounding areas were a lot of fun. Plenty of rocks to climb and little creeks to play in. At Bull falls, Caleb was hiking with Craig (which is unusual...usually he is with me) so I felt pretty youthful and athletic I guess and decided to leap from rock to rock. While I leapt like a 21 year old (so I thought), I fell like a 33 year old. Bad. On my elbow. Heard a crack and thought it was broken. I am the type that does not talk when I am in pain and do not like people talking to me (I am no fun during childbirth.....very rude and ignoring all my helpers....then snap at everyone to be quiet.....you get the idea) and I had my mom and two oldest very concerned about me and asking me lots of questions.....I was not graceful in asking them to be quiet......thank goodness they all love me and forgive me of my downfalls. So I started recovering and did not break anything! Praise GOD! My elbow did swell up and this 33 year old had to pop some pain relievers for the next few days. Oh the joys of growing older!!
Caleb needed a nap so Andie and Isaac had ATV rides and then went for a swim and jump off the dock time....capped off with a good hour in their secret hideout (check, check, check, check).
Meyer falls: No injuries...lots of pictures taken....more like rapids than falls but super fun hiking and playing for the kids and us! No pictures of Bull falls but trust me....it just looked dangerous. Well, maybe not but those rocks were slippery!!
Last days of swimming
My dad watching while I do the "tick check" we had to do every so often.
Papa and Isaac having some man time
Nana and Andie having some girl time
We just enjoyed the cabin, played some ladder ball and went on a canoe ride in the afternoon. Early bedtimes were needed for all. Great week at the Lake.
No comments:
Post a Comment