Isaac is pretty much all about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle these days. He loves to pretend he is Leonardo and go around and fight the foot clan (the bad guys). He has always been and continues to be an energetic boy and this month as he turned five I find that he is quieting a bit, maturing some. He still seems to have constant energy and moving continually and while I LOVE that about him, there are days that I am just plain worn out from keeping up with him while he is running, biking, fighting "bad guys" etc.
At the beginning of the month I looked at our calendar and I couldn't believe how busy it looked with swim lessons, watching some children, piano, Awanas, Easter weekend, Andie's birthday.....so we decided to keep our first weekend, Isaac's birthday, very low key. It was our family of five and my parents drove over to help celebrate for a few hours.
He started the day with balloons.....huge hit and they lasted almost the entire day....until he opened a nerf "Leonardo sword" from my parents and then the balloons were toast. Since I outlawed hitting practice on his little brother, the balloons became his favorite target. One by one they would get holes and then Craig showed the kids how to suck helium out and talk funny (by the way....is that even healthy?) Isaac picked the eating place for lunch....McDonalds of course. And picked out his present from us which was a new bike. He has never had a new bike so this was pretty special. His favorite thing to do is go for bike rides. I think we may have gotten him a little bit too big of a bike but he will grow into it!
And then it was time for the cake. Out of all the crafty things that I am NOT good at....decorating food may be the lowest on the list. BUT my friend told me she had a TMNT cake pan.....so I armed myself with some frosting and food coloring and did my best.
Oh the joy on Isaac's face as we unveiled the cake. I think I literally took 45 minutes to frost it because I wanted to not mess it up. To my eyes it looked like something on the pinterest "nailed it" posts but he couldn't have been more excited about it so that is what mattered.
A family bike ride rounded out the day. Throughout the day, in the back of mind, I wondered if Isaac might not feel like his birthday was a big deal but he kept running around all day saying "this is the best day ever", so after awhile I realized that he was just happy celebrating his day of birth with some of his closest people.
Happy birthday big boy!!! Ev loves loves loves Ninja Turtles too!!!
ReplyDeleteMakes sense....they both loved lightening McQueen and superheroes together....they really are two peas in a pod! We have started discussing a fall Iowa trip to see you guys and have time to just sit and chat.......and for the boys to play ninja turtles together!
ReplyDeleteI think the cake looks amazing...so true...sometime sits just the low key undivided attention which speaks direct love to their hearts. Thanks for reminding me. Seems like God is using all sorts of people and such to prod me to spend more one on one time with each of my kiddos. Tell Isaac happy birthday...he is getting so so big
ReplyDeleteHow FUN is that!?!?! I love it!! (and, his birthday sounded like Tristen's in that we kept it low key and I couldn't believe how much he LOVED the very small deal we made of it :) Love the cake! You're talented!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the encouragement ladies!!
ReplyDelete