Monday, March 2, 2015

Getting Schooled

Another school post here.  I really enjoy the blog Isaac's teacher is doing and want to keep all these pictures of him in action.  I know that if I don't copy them over to here that I will lose them in a few years.  Can I just say "YAY teachers"  If you can't tell....I just think the best of our teachers.  They work so hard to teach our kids and teach the standards they now have.  I hear and read so much about "teaching to the test" and "kids being spoon fed" and "wasted time" and all this negative stuff about public schools these days, it is enough to make ANYONE nervous.    I just have to say though....I'm not seeing it in the day to day classrooms I am exposed to.  I know that it happens, I know that teaching has changed but I see so much more how teachers are taking the standard, thinking about how to best teach it to their class and then teaching them with creativity.   YAY for teachers.  You guys rock. Ok, just wanted to give a shout out to our teachers and all the positive things I see them doing EVERY DAY!!

Here is an email I received from Isaac's teacher after being in Florida a week:  "Hi Sarah!  Welcome back to Minnesota - just in time for a BLIZZARD.  Isaac shared that his brother threw up in the car both ways - he said he didn't really like it because it made the car smell funny ;-)  I love how mellow he is when he shares things - nothings seem to rattle him!  Sounds like you had a great trip - we were just talking about coral last week so it was perfect for Isaac to bring some in!!  He really doesn't have to do anything at home - he shared his journal with me this morning - thanks for keeping him going :-)  See you on the 17th!  Hope your little one is feeling better soon!!  Amy"

For real.  She is great.  She knows my son, she appreciates certain qualities about him.  

More engineering.  Time to build towers with spagetti and marshmallows!!


Tower is looking pretty sturdy there Isaac.  Don't think he won the tallest tower award but it was sturdy!


A week later it was time to team up with a 2nd grade class and build even more towers.  I think they had prizes for tallest, most weight that can be put on, etc.  So a Kindergartner and 2nd grader worked together.

Now that is a unique creation gentlemen.....


And groundhog day brings craft, predictions, and a little graphing (later).


February brought about 100 days of school.  First a little picture/aging app and writing assignment about what the kids thought they would be doing when they are 100 years old.  Check out Isaac's jowels in his shot!!  Isaac said "I will play with mi (my) grandkids and I am a Grandpa"  I think he has two great examples of grandpas to model after!

Bringing 100 things of 1 item from home (buttons) to be separated and counted.

100 day snack time.....

And last, the teachers have been collected milk jugs from the students for awhile now to build 2 of these....igloos!!  The kids have been reading in them and using them for pretend play!!  They are now building a fishing pond to put in front and Isaac needed to bring in a picture of him fishing for the pond.



Isaac has really been learning a lot this year.  He spends a section of the day reading and writing and math.  They do have tests that are required.  However, I also see his teachers really being creative with the students and I so appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment