Sunday, March 1, 2015

FLORIDA OR BUST

By the end of February I am sort of done with winter around here. I have played in the snow, sledded, scooped, ice skated, made snow angels, carved tunnels, built snowmen and then there comes a day when I say "NO MORE". It happens every year. Every year. Last year a few of us started to day dream about hopping in our cars and driving to Florida. I found this cute little state park only 20 hours away near a place called Destin...just 20 hours....that would be perfect. We laughed....aaahhh day dreaming.  I never really thought we would actually do it.

 So this year when my good friend said in October....this is not a drill, we are booking a trip for February. We said "we're in!" 20 hours doesn't seem so bad on the map but when you start planning for a 20 hour car trip with three kids....it started to seem a little daunting. We left Friday immediately after the bell rang, well....I actually grabbed them 5 minutes early because we were ready to go! On the road. Through snow in Missouri, and rain all through Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and half of Alabama. And not misting rain but downpour. On we drove. Waking up at 5:00 a.m. Grabbing bowls for car sickness (Caleb). McDonalds, Chick-fil-a, gas station burritos....onward we drove! Movies, homework, magnets, car games, I-Spy ON AND ON AND ON!!







Because we knew.  Well, Craig and I knew what was waiting.  Our kids had no idea.  They had only heard of "the Gulf of Mexico".  They had no idea what they were in for.  As my friend said "we could drive them downtown and call it the Gulf and they would have no idea."

  But we knew why we kept driving. We drove into town, 70s, partly cloudy with some sun. Started driving along the coast. Craig veered quickly to the right as he saw a public beach access. We threw shorts at the kids and said "You'll want to be wearing these". Quick deck change in the car and we were off. The actual water was a long ways over some dunes. Waves were crashing and we could hear the water but couldn't see it. Have you ever seen kids running for something that they thought was going to be great but actually had no idea what to expect. Yeah. You can't put that into words....





And we made it!!  Sugar white sand, Warmish, salty water.  Expansive sea.  We're not in Minnesota any more kids.














We spent 3 hours at this beach.  The one Craig quickly steered into.  The one we ran forever to get our first glimpse of the Gulf.  We went back to the van for food, and sand toys, and towels.  Mostly we played and played and played.

 Andie in her wild way....almost like a wild horse....running along the waves, darting in and out. Getting wet sometimes.

 Isaac in his slow, methodical way....planning out sand castles that would survive the crashing waves.
Caleb in his ever wanting my physical presense way...."I think I like this but I want you close just to be sure."

In life, you have those moments you will never forget. We took so many pictures this day but I have so many more stored. It is one of those moments I will not forget. The sun, the sea, the sand, the squeals of joy when we first step first in the ocean. So worth the drive.
  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it!!!! These pictures capture it so perfectly! I feel like I was there!! Yay for not only a break from the cold but amazing family memories!!

    ReplyDelete