Monday, April 13, 2015

On Turning 6

I have started, then stopped, then started this post again a few times.  I am struggling with what to say about Isaac turning 6.  Usually the things just roll off my fingers about the kids.  How do I put this year of Isaac's into words.

Isaac has been my most emotional, sensitive child.  He has an amazing belly laugh....the kind that makes you join right in.  And he can get angry in a split second.  At three, this anger would destroy his room in a few minutes.  At 6, I am watching him learn how to use more self-control.  Oh he still can get angry but it is fewer and farther in between.  He has been replacing his immediate lash out with words of "that is making me very mad".  The battles with his tongue and anger and self control are still very real and very much there but I can see improvement some days and he is oh so much easier to work with.

Isaac has always been our child that has a hard time letting go of something.  He is persistent to the max.  At three, as he was destroying his room, it was exhausting.  As we have seen this behavior directed towards more positive things this year it has been amazing.  He has been into building things, a future in engineering maybe?  He can build a fort out in the woods for an hour.  Andie is running like a wild horse around him, darting in and out, and he slowly and methodically will keep building until it becomes what he envisioned it would be.  I see the same trait come out positively when he is playing baseball with Craig.  Over and over he is pitched to, without even wanting to do anything else.



Isaac has a BIG heart.  He is emotionally tuned to people and their feelings.  We were getting ready to invite a few friends along with us to the movies on the day after his birthday.  It was the Monday after Easter and they did not have school that day.  I started listing a few friends for Isaac to invite.  He told me "Mom, I just want to invite one friend so I know we will get along.  Sometimes some of my friends don't get along with each other but I get along with all of them."  So we invited his best friend and had a day of it.




After the first few weeks of literally being drug kicking and screaming to school (did I mention change is hard on him?) he has flourished in school.  He gives me a sidehug in the morning when I drop him off as his eyes scan the playground for his buddies.  He runs out after school bubbling with stories from the day.  At the end of the day he will hug me fiercely for a minute or so.  He and I both need that hug at the end of a day.

Isaac working on "homework".  They read humpty dumpty and then had to design containers that would keep eggs safe when dropped off a wall.  Isaac's little contraption made it through 3 rounds and even the big challenge of dropping it off the top of the slide at school.  His teacher, who is big into science and engineering, and has the calmest demeanor in the world has been such a positive influence on Isaac's life.


One of the many things Isaac builds.  After building beds for "Goldilocks" at school (basically engineering a bed that will hold weight) Isaac decided to try to build a bed for himself in our pine tree.


And a look back at this year for Isaac:























No comments:

Post a Comment