Friday, June 26, 2015

And SNAP.... the jobs a game

I have been all sorts of Mary Poppins this week.  Lots to get done after our big weekend and an even bigger week ahead but trying to throw in some fun as well.  I sat the kids down at the beginning of the week and had the whole "This week is not about having lots of fun.....we have a lot to do to get ready for camping, but it's all how you look at it....if we work together there is fun to be had even in the little things"  and all that spoon full of sugar talk.

Day 25, Monday, June 22nd.  The day things got real around here.  Otherwise known as the "how to get a free oil change at the car shop" day.  Oh I will tell you how it is done.  This is not my first time it has happened.  Oh no, it has happened twice.  Pin this one, Pinterest friends...under good deals.  Free oil change - it just costs a little sanity.

I have no pictures from the event but I will paint a picture for you of what happened and you can replicate at your own car repair shop to get your own free oil change.  First you call ahead and get an appointment.  You clarify how long the oil change AND inspection will take place...30 to 40 minutes...perfect.    You make a grocery list for the cheap grocery store next door and have the kids pack activities to last an hour (with a 20 minute grocery store stop in there).  Drive to place 5 minutes early, load up on cheap groceries so you have absolutely no ability to walk anywhere else with the kids in the foreseeable future.  Read every book possible, every magazine.  ask your 3 year old nicely to get off the floor 5 times, smile back at the old men that give you a little smile from time to time.  An hour and a half into the event ask your children to go stare at the car in hopes that the tires will magically get put back on.  Smile and nod as they tell you everything looks good mechanically but a repair to sensors costing half of van's worth needs to be done. (no we will not do it today)  Ask 3 year old to get off the floor and 6 year old to stop climbing on chairs.  Stare at van some more willing the tires to get put on.  8 year old and 6 year old start having a "kissing game" in which they try to kiss each other while other tries to block it.  Old men stop smiling and start avoiding eyes.  2 hours in.....you tell the attendant...."I need to leave right now....like right now".  They look at you as you instate a rule to your children "we need to keep our hands AND lips to ourselves".  Now, all people are avoiding your eyes.  Guy behind the counter, also avoiding eye contact, says "this one is on us this time."  Barely whisper thank you as you are holding 3 year old half upside down and putting your hand over 6 year olds mouth to stop him from kissing anyone.  Leave.  Get into van.  Take deep breath.  Look at 3 extra wrinkles you just got in the mirror.  Just saved 35 dollars for only 2 hours of sanity.

And that's how's its done people.  Watch out Mary Poppins.  Oh and just for some extra fun, my house looked like this that day:



Day 26:  Tuesday, June 23rd.  Recovery Day from our "recovery day"  If I start to become crazy mom I just plan a day at the beach.  Works every time.  One of Isaac's good friends joined us for awhile as well.  Kids are happy.  I am happy.  I remember how to smile again.  The beach is just better for all of us.  Especially our chlorinated, non-animal ones here.  (otherwise known as sand bottom pools)




Day 27:  Wednesday, June 24th.  A few errands, followed up by a very fun hour and half outing at our new Children's museum.  Andie and Isaac were "lost"  for 30 minutes while they climbed in the Tree of Forts playing some sort of Swiss Family Robinson type game.



A Lego guru was there encouraging all sorts of little engineering projects, building tops, zipline contraptions, working with gears, etc.



And Caleb climbing while Isaac had baseball that night.


Day 28:  Thursday, June 25th.  I was busy packing this day and making a few lists.  Boys were out playing "hockey" and told me they can't wait for the ice rinks to come back.  I will chose to disagree but glad they could amuse themselves for while. We were really struggling with listening this morning, or the lack of. I may have done a little more yelling, crying, and eating M&Ms by myself in our closet than Ms. Poppins would approve of.




But it all became better when it was time for our outing to a swimming pool for a birthday party for one of Isaac's friends.  I know the mom well so she asked us to all come.  The pool was in a town 30 miles away.  Small town.  And it was awesome.  Slides, diving well, rock climbing wall in the pool so when you fell you fell in water.  So fun.  My two oldest were able to do it all which made it better.  I even remembered to be fun mom a bit on this afternoon and made it to the top of the rock wall.


Day 29:  Friday, June 26th.  "And a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down".  Or around here known as "A dollar tree squirt gun really cleans the van"  Really cleans the VAAAANNN....Really cleans the van.  It was van cleaning, final packing, vacuum the sandbox out of the van day.  The oldest two LOVED cleaning the outside with some squirt guns and washclothes and too much water.


Then they thought it would be fun to squirt water up their noses and I let them because I thought it would be fun (for me) to see their reaction to water going up their nose.  And I was not disappointed.


So overall we had a very productive week and even mixed in a little fun.  Mary Poppins would be proud.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!! I read wide eyed your whole account of the oil change! Pinning your post to Pinterest and will be taking your advice! Ha! Too funny but I can only imagine how crazy it was at the time! Have FUN camping!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete