Monday, January 18, 2016

Penguin sliding, frozen waterfalls, outdoor skating

What do those three things have in common?  Yep.  Winter is here to stay.  December was psuedo-winter around here.  Would almost pass for fall some days with its above freezing temps.  January has definitely gotten a lot more real.  I honestly love it....for a few weeks.   End of February I start itching for Spring but I would definitely miss Penguin Sliding, Frozen Waterfall and Outdoor Skating season if it wasn't here.

Do everyone's kids do this?  My kids love them some Penguin sliding, which is what we call the basic slide on your belly usually with your hands back.   They will do it on our sledding hill but that is just not as fun for them as when there are rocks and big trees to maneuver around so they much prefer to find a hill in the woods to slide on and give their mother a mini heart attack while she is repeating in her head "do not helicopter mom this, do not helicopter mom this"
This course was a most excellent course.  It had a turn right about where you see Isaac below.





Then some rocks to glide over at the bottom and two large trees to coast around.  Hands out in front for this part of the course = smart boy.

Ok....so not completely frozen yet in this picture but "our" waterfall was looking especially beautiful this Monday afternoon.




And nothing says "Winter's here" to me than our outdoor skating rinks ready for use!  This was an end to a pretty tough day around these parts.  I texted Craig that afternoon.  "Family Date night....mama needs her outdoor adventure fix" so we ended up enjoying this rink for an hour or so.  Just what the doctor ordered.   Found some double blade ice skates for Caleb at the thrift store in perfect shape....so he went out for a bit to check out this whole "ice skating" business.

Andie is not quite as fast as I am but I give her 2 or 3 more outings and then its on.....

Isaac mostly enjoys hitting around wooden pucks Craig makes for him.

We have been in hibernation mode around here the last few days with the rest of the Midwest....so I am looking at these pictures to remind myself of how much I really do like winter.  Isaac thinks its the best season ever.  Lucky for him I think it will be around awhile longer around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment