Day 15 of Summer!! Still going strong. We awoke that Friday to a massive spread of breakfast. Hot showers, hot coffee, french toast with fruit spread and whip cream. My Aunt went all out on breakfast. We had a wonderful time hanging out and really could enjoyed being there for hours....but we were itching for our destination. So we said Adieu and off we went to Itasca. We had about a 3 hour drive ahead of us and true to First Day of Camping on a Sanderson Trip form....there were buckets and buckets of rain about an hour from our destination. Lightning touching ground all around us. I do not do storms well so Craig was calming my crazy a bit. We pulled into Park Rapids which is about 20 miles south of the park and had lunch at wonderful Cafe....The Good Life. I would eat anything on that menu. It was delicious and we just waited out the rain a bit. 12:30 hit and we started to head up to the Park. 12:50....just sprinkles as we entered the park and nothing as we got to our camp site. Sweet!! So we set up shop:
At this point it was about 2:30 and we knew the Headwaters of the Mississippi would be busy but we were ready to get a little wet and it was close to our site. So we drove out there. First thing I saw were these:
I had no idea what these white things were.....so I took a closer look....turtle eggs!! Hatched turtles. We saw thousands of these this weekend and even saw a huge snapping turtle and a painted turtle in the process of digging a hole.
Getting to the headwaters....
Here we are....the start of the Mississippi!! I remember walking through this creek vividly when I couldn't have been much older than Andie. Fun to see the humble beginnings of the Mighty Mississippi.
My boys went for a swim (and I will add "of course")
Celebrating 12 years with this guy. Wow. The time has equally flown by while I have felt we have been married forever. When I think of our story I think of God and His great love for us. Two people who were married and struggling in those early years, not knowing Jesus to becoming followers of Christ within a few months of each other. I wouldn't want to do this life with anyone else.
Incidently, I just realized we also were visiting our 12th state park. Checking out state parks has been a little hobby of mine the past few years and Itasca is 12. So we just celebrated our 12th Anniversary at our 12th state park. Not planned.
A good picture of my joyfully, good natured, not always obedient one....
Andie: In her element....Mountain Goat. No slipping on the rocks for this one.
Getting the token shot. Boys were cold, everyone was hungry. Very much a "let's smile and take the picture quick" shot.....gotta love those.
After some warm clothes and hot meal we explored our camp area on the lake a bit.
Craig and Isaac love to fish. We fished for an hour here this evening and it wasn't even close to enough for these two. They would really fish all day.
Showing you what goes on behind the pristine lake/pretty picture of fishing. Andie and Caleb are busy collecting snails for their snail party or snail island or something.
We were pretty tired so off to bed. The loons were really talkative this night and so we all woke up through the night and would listen a bit and drift off. It was pretty beautiful.
Day 16: Saturday. Also known as "Let's try to cram everything else into this day". Let's see how we did.
Started early with a warm breakfast and coffee. Then off to some sites: Like the Peacepipe Vista
And Preacher's Grove: This huge grove of amazing Red Pines where preachers camped for some retreat. It was amazing. Pictures do not do it justice.
Getting ready for our hike on the Dr. Roberts Trail. This trail came highly recommended and we loved the first 1/2 mile....after that....not so much. I think we would have rather taken a trail among the high pine trees next time.
But the MN state flower was in full bloom: Isaac came running up to me: The Ladyslipper is blooming!! He remembered from the arboretum a few weeks ago. So that was fun to see both the Ladyslipper and Isaac so excited about finding it/knowing what it was.
Old Timers Cabin. Cabin built in 1930s without heavy machinery.
I took a picture of this because I think it would make a good project for Craig. A stump chair for each of the kids. Something to whittle on in the winter months :)
Andie loves her pine trees...
After the trail and a picnic we decided to do the Wildnerness Drive. Took a little stop at the Large White Pine:
Meanwhile, Caleb did a little of this:
So we stopped for a bit to let him rest since we wanted to do a family hike at the end of the drive. Craig/Isaac fished while us girls did a whole lot of rock/creek jumping.
After Caleb's nap it was time to climb the Aiton Fire Tower. Last few flights of stairs get a little windy but the view is worth it.
A brief stop at the beach for a dip/rinse off then back to camp for a fire. I took Andie and Caleb down to watch the sunset and it did not disappoint. Beautiful country. I love the North County. Seems still wild in a way.
12 parks down and 55 to go!! Hope we can have as many anniversaries together!
No comments:
Post a Comment