My boys......they are really coming into their own this year. When Caleb was about to be born I completely thought he was a girl. And since I had guessed the sex correctly for my other two children (a girl and then a boy) everyone (myself included) was a little suprised when we had a boy. When Craig announced"It's a boy", I even remember saying "are you sure". Not that I didn't want another boy I just really thought Caleb was a girl and if I am honest I was starting to get excited for the girl clothes and the girl things I was able to do and am able to do with my oldest girl.
What does this all have to do with now....nothing and everything. It just reminds me that God knows what he is doing. Caleb was, and is, the perfect child for our family in lots of ways. One distinct way that Caleb has blessed our family is by being a brother to Isaac.
Brothers. It's a special bond. And our boys are pretty close in age so they are starting to like to play together more. This year we've had some big changes and two of these changes have really bonded Isaac and Caleb together. One is that Andie is now in Kindegarten. Andie is usually the one who comes up with the idea on what is going to be played that day and how everyone is going to dress, and what everyone will say and you get the idea. So, while we miss her terribly during the day, I have noticed that Isaac is able to step up and be the leader at home and come up with ideas on how he wants us to play etc. And his ideas on what playtime should look like are quite different than his sisters. Gone are the hours of playing barbies, family and house. Here are the days of cars, and obstacle course, and superheros.
And the second change that has bonded the boys together is our move. Isaac misses his friends terribly but has found a built in friend in his brother this year. He still asks about all his friends back at our former town (shout out to Evan and Solon and Lincoln and Shadd) but he now looks to his brother for fun. This is a person, Lord willing, that he will have in his life forever and so this bond is really a priceless one to build.
So being a brother is better than being a superhero? I know my youngest sure thinks his older brother IS a superhero and Isaac does his best to BE a superhero. Do they fight...yes (already!) Do they giggle....often. Does Isaac put his brother under pillows and make me worried that Caleb will suffocate....weekly. Will they always love each other.....I can only pray they will.
Miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteSeriously love this post...how great that God gave you Caleb so Isaac could have a brother...best buds for life! Evan sure does miss him though!
ReplyDeleteI remember how you thought Caleb was a boy! And were so excited for Isaac to have a brother!
Delete