Thursday, February 14, 2013

Much love to the Hubs....

So ordinarily Valentines day is already surrounded with reminders of love, presents, chocolates but at our house it is extra special and we ALWAYS get chocolate cake.  Why?  Because it is my husbands birthday as well!! So a little post about my guy....stop reading now if you want to avoid a sugar overdose!!

Craig turned to me this morning and said, "this is our 13th Valentines together".  Wow....I am not that old am I?  We started dating 13 years ago just a little before the Big day.  14 years ago I was a freshman on the UNI swim team and I had a little "crush" on a Junior named "Shaggy".  I honestly don't think I even knew his full real name at this point.  15 years ago I was a senior in high school on my recruiting trip to UNI to visit their swim team.  I stayed with Urbas. Played cards with Fletcher, Soko, and Meredith.  Met some guys named Noz, Doo, Nut, Summy, and Hamer.  And listened to a then freshmen who will remain nameless go on and on about this date she was going on with a Shaggy.  I thought that the swim team was awesome and that everyone had really weird names. 

Fast forward 15 years and I would never have expected "Shaggy and Hooch" (my acquired nickname - don't ask!) to be married for 9 years, to have lived in 3 different places together, to have three beautiful children and to most importantly both come to know Jesus as our Savior.  WOW....things sure have changed in 15 years.

Craig - Happy birthday!  There are so many great memories from the past 13 years that I have been blessed to spend with you and the good times and laughter are just coming more fast and furious.  So a little tribute to you....all the things I am thankful for!

1. You make me laugh.  And not just a smile or a little fake, half-laugh.  You still make me have the giggle so hard I can't breath laugh.  Except when you try to tickle me behind the knees.  I may be laughing but that is definitely NOT COOL.

2.  You are more of a risk taker than I am.  Now.....I jump into things a little quicker than you usually but I am not one to take big risks.  You are more of a dreamer....the "idea man" around here.  I need that.  My life would be very boring without the "idea man" around.

3.  You love me.  I don't think I have to say more on that.  It is very freeing to have someone know me so well, and love me because of all my quirks (not in spite of)

4.  You love our kids.  You have a "I would do anything for you love" for them.  You help them with their bible verses and read to them from the bible every night knowing that it is so important to give them that truth to hide in their hearts, you spend time with them doing what they like even when it gets monotonous and boring, you discipline them even when it is hard because you know it will be the best thing for them. 

5.  You love the Lord.  And want to be a better follower of Him every day.   Love your reflective heart.  Love our chats at night. 

And, of course, what post would be complete without pictures of my subject!!

Perfect Illustrations for point number 1....Ugly Christmas sweater day at work this past year.  You decided to go for the full effect by growing out a beard for weeks, then shaving it into a nice "creeper" mustache. 

 Bible and Verses time in the evening...


  And....Happy Valentines Day!!  Bringing roses for your two girls (Me and Andie).  Made it a point to take off work to go to her Valentine party at school and give her the rose.  The boy that tries to win Andie's heart is going to have a pretty high standard to live up to!!

LOVE YOU CRAIG!!

1 comment:

  1. that first picture makes me crack up. miss you guys. happy birthday craig. glad to know we got a good chunk of those 13 years with you both!

    ReplyDelete