Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Giving Thanks

Our Thanksgiving week turned into a jam-packed week full of friends, food, travel, family.  We were planning on traveling back to Iowa originally to see our good friends off to Africa but when my friend Kayla texted and told me the service wasn't until Sunday afternoon and traveling back and forth from IA then to and from NE just seemed like a lot of driving....our week long vacation of giving thanks was planned.

First Stop:  Waverly IA to see some good friends from college.  They have three girls and the ages of our kids all overlap.  We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.  Enjoyed OP pizza (it's been years and it is still as good as I remember), was introduced to Just Dance and Euchre and just had some good old fashioned food, fun and laughs.

Second stop:  Ankeny IA:  Lunch with the Lees who I will always consider our neighbors even though we live three hours away now.  Great service for the Smiths even though our kids lost it a bit from no sleeping and lots of traveling already.  And to cap it all off:  some time with the Whitakers.  I laughed, I cried, I went to bed to late....we talked until we could talk no more.  I love you Whitakers.  I am seriously praying we will end up in the same town again some day.

Third stop:  Columbus, NE:  Decided to get here a few days early.  Enjoyed some hiking, some sleeping (which we desperately needed), a 5K Turkey trot, Frozen the movie with the kids and more games of Go Fish and War with the kids than I could count. 
 My Mother-in-law and I before the run.  So awesome for her to sign us up!  We both made it but definitely needed all the help we could get from our cheering section on this cold, windy day!







Last stop:  Home:  Enjoyed a visit in our hood from our friends the Whitakers again.  Twice in one week....I felt a little spoiled by all the company of good friends.  Then time to get ready for Christmas around here!

My three waiting for the annual Christmas lighting parade.  We have a park that they started illuminating with a million lights, complete with Santa, reindeer and an ice rink.  The parade was a new feature this year to get ready to turn on the lights by having 50 lighted floats and Santa of course. 




And our first real tree in 7 years. 



So what am I thankful for this year?  Its hard for me to even begin to count all my blessings but I will definitely try!

1.  8 years of knowing Jesus.  This really struck me this week.  Circumstances caused me to look back at my life before knowing the Lord and I can vividly see how my life would be different without Him in it.  I don't always note the differences in my day to day life....how His power and work in my life is changing me but something happened this week that showed me what my life would have been without Him in it.  I am awestruck at how He has taken a sinner like me and loved me and changed me.  I hope I never get over being saved.

2.  Friends.  New and long standing.  While I am writing this I am feeling a little melancholy for some of the close friendships and people we were able to get to know really well in Iowa.  I enjoyed sharing my heart last week with my some of my IA friends.  I miss them.  BUT I also feel seeds of new friendships starting and know I don't have to let go of old friends to love and begin new friendships.  It is fun to have friendships all over this world.  It is fun to see people and pick up right where we left off.

3.  Running.  My new favorite hobby.  I love the races, I love the 6 a.m. cold runs with my too fast running partner Amy.  I love feeling stronger and more in shape again.

4.  Family!  We were at our best and worst in Nebraska and they loved us both ways....that is true family love. 

5.  The means to travel.  Gas, the van, movies, hospitality of friends and family.  I enjoy getting away and visiting!

6.  Coming home.  AND making new memories.  Loved that my children got excited for the lights going on at the park since this is our town now and our parks. 




1 comment:

  1. Such fun! Wish I could have been there for your visit to Iowa...:) Glad you had fun and that is great you are running again. I miss running so much. Anyways, love you girl and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete