Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our cold weather boredom busters

I love looking at all the posts and seeing how people keep their kids busy when the weather is too cold to go out.  What a winter we are having.  I cannot remember one that has been so cold.  We have been really content to be indoors this year so far.   Weird right?  Don't hate me.  We usually get cabin fever like crazy and I lose it a few times but this year has been different.  Maybe the kids are getting older?  Maybe now days off of school are "new" and "exciting" instead of just one more day at home.   Different from the normal day to day.  Whatever it is I have been grateful for the change.  Oh, don't get me wrong....we still get cabin fever but it has been more mild this year than other years and usually stems from my frustration over getting our two year old to potty on the toilet.  Seriously.  All underwear for two days and not one single time.  He started to pee, put him on the potty, he held it, I picked him up because he started to get upset and he peed all over me.  I slowly put him down and just walked away.  I needed one minute to just be by myself and go "Lord......." and that was all I could voice of my frustration to Him....but I know He knew what I wanted to voice but couldn't say more than "LORD.....".  But that is a different post

So here is a snapshot of our January cold days. 


Two days of cold in a row had us reading Laura Ingalls Wilder, drinking cocoa, and building lots of fires in our fire place.  Have I mentioned how much I love our wood burning fireplace.  Our gas one in Iowa was great but there is just something fun about real wood.  Maybe its the marshmellows we can roast, the crackle of the wood, I don't know what it is but I love it.


And boxes.....we have had our fair share of these around the house and we have had ample play time with them.  Some forts, some "Ninja turtle houses", some we use for drawing on or writing. 


One day off of school was a pajama day and about mid-day I put the blue tape down in our living room.  The kids had a few hours of playtime with cars, building bridges, etc.  Thank you pinterest for the idea....what our mothers ever did without you I will never know!


Thank you Karie for this idea!! Coffee filter snowflakes.  My two oldest loved this activity for the length of a Caleb nap....
 
 
 
And our favorite activity?  Pet shop/veterinarian clinic with stuffed animals.  Andie worked on all the price tags, they sorted the animals.  Isaac was the Dr. who helped deliver puppies and help the monkey with a nasty cough.  This has been a great creative play activity for the kids.  
 




So here is hoping and praying for some warmer weather (and for my two year old to pee on the toilet) but enjoying the hours of playtime we are having this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment