Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Favorites from February

So I am going to try something new.  I absolutely love having these days recorded, if for no one else but for myself.  I love to look back at some of the past posts knowing that I would not have remembered much of what I posted about if I hadn't sat down and blogged about it. 

But for a few reasons, I haven't been blogging as much this year.  Partly, I don't think I am "chewing" on as much this year.....we have started to not be so caught up in the changes that came with our BIG MOVE.  Also,  this year I have a no-napper but not quite schooler.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the extra time I get to spend with my middle child but nap time is when I usually would blog.  I am not a night time blogger.  Add one husband peaking over my shoulder to struggling with having a coherent thought...much less write a coherent sentence after 8:00 and it is just not pretty. 

So while I am on a blogging slow down, I thought I could at least record my favorite happenings for each month.  They will be fun for me to look back on in years to come and I also don't feel the pressure to get it all down that day so I have it.  I also have caught myself saying:  I should really write this or that down but where would I do that....duh....that is why you blog. 

So here is my very first (and hopefully not last) Favorites of the month.

1.  Andie came home last Tuesday afternoon, which is also Library day at school, excited about her new books.  She finished one by Jan Brett, looked up at me very seriously and said "Mom, I just love how this author writes."  Oh honey....I totally get you.

2.  Isaac has more freckles emerging on his nose almost daily it seems.  I love it because it reminds me of pictures of Craig when he was a boy.  I ask him (Isaac - not Craig) if I can kiss his nose freckles almost daily and he gives me an "aw schucks" look and lets me.  I don't know how many more years (or months) this will last so I am getting my kisses on the nose freckles in while I can.

3.  Caleb speaking just cracks me up daily.  A few of my favorites from the month:
         - "I'm frustrated" or "I'm upset"  He just seems too little to be expressing himself like this.
         - Running after his two older siblings and yelling "WAIT FOR ME GUYS"
         -  saying "f" instead of "s"  so "sorry" become "forry"  Too cute.

4.  FREE ice skating rinks.  I have enjoyed a few Saturday/Sunday afternoons this month with one or both of my oldest on the rinks and then having hot cocoa afterward while Craig and Caleb rest.

5.  Our Saturday spent swimming and then going to the college basketball game in town.  So fun and reminded me of how we would often spend our Saturdays when I was growing up.  My dad always took us to the college basketball games. 

6.  Having a small group through church again.  Didn't realize just HOW much I missed it until we started going to one again.  Look forward to it every week.

7.  TV for the first time in 4 years (or so!)  YAY for the Olympics, HGTV, etc.  Happy Birthday Craig (yes, this was his present for his birthday....I am not awesome with birthday presents)

8.  My parents coming and spending the morning swimming with us.

9.  Craig's family traveling here for his birthday from Minneapolis and Nebraska.

10.  Andie playing piano and loving it.  Having music in our house!

11.  Caleb playing his "denear, near".  His word for guitar.  It is actually his version of the sound the guitar makes.  Too funny!  Everything in our house is fair game to become a guitar.  Sticks, pillows, Tupperware lids, etc. have all been played around here. 

12.  Isaac singing a flawless Bon Jovi "shot through the heart"  Straight into a "Bless the Lord Oh my Soul".

13.  Actually PLAYING Disney trivia game with my two oldest.  We are old enough to play the game and not just look at all the pictures on the cards now. 

14.  Fires in our fireplace.

15.  A few days to enjoy all the snow we have.  And I am being serious when I mean "few".  Like 5.  Which means we have had about 19 days of staring at it from our window wishing for a little warmer temps.  Not asking for much...just above 15.  I would take about 10 at this point.  But those 5 days have been awesome......

16.  Sharing Laura Ingalls Wilder books with my kids.

17.  Church gym is open whenever we want (or more accurate - NEED) a place to play.

18.  Craig's job is in the same town that we live.  We have made good on this in February.  We have brought him birthday cake at work, taken him out for a lunch on one of our snow days, he is taking off a little work this week to bop over to Andie's music concert at school.  We have enjoyed basketball games and are going to a "dive-in" (think Drive-in but at the pool....they are playing Finding Nemo...pretty clever huh?)  at the pool on campus tonight that is open to the university staff.

There you have my February Favorites!  All have been adding to the flavor that is our life right now and I definitely would forget many of these "small" things in the years to come.  Glad I have my place to "write them down" at.

No comments:

Post a Comment