Friday, May 23, 2014

Being watched

You know that moment as a mom when you realize how much your kids are watching you.  For me, it is usually a moment when I come upon one child talking sternly to another with their pointer finger waving in a way saying "I am upset and you need to change this attitude" kind of wave.  Yep. They have me pegged on that one.  Or when I see Isaac adjusting a rug so it looks "just so."  Yep...me again.

Recently I have made it a point to notice and list all the gifts from God I am thankful for.  I have been talking about them here and there and jotting them down on my constantly open journal.

A few days ago I was very aware of only hearing noise from my boys.  Andie, my ever introvert, will often escape some of the craziness of living a life with two rambunctious brothers and find a quiet activity on her own.  This day I found her out on the play set.  What was she doing?



She was making "her list of things she was grateful for".   She told me she was going to do one for each member of the family and then a list of all the pretty things.  (she forgot Caleb though - ooops sorry Caleb.....we are grateful for you!)

So here is a guest post by my 7 year old.  I am retyping her lists so I have a place to keep this memory of her and to remind me that while I often KNOW when our children are picking up some of my bad habits and traits that they also see when we are doing things that honor the Lord.


Here is Andie's thankful journal (misspelled words and all!):  Many of these things just seem like observations but I think it is awesome how she wanted to be thankful for each person and then wrote about them just the way they were.  Kind of like.....I am thankful for this person, this is what they are like.

"My name is Andie.  You spell it like this A-N-D-I-E.  one inpotetend (important) thing abawt me is I do not want my ears perst (pierced)!  And another thing abawt me is I like jumping rope and I like climing rope and just climing.  And I like hugging my mommy and daddy!  All about my brother:  my brother dosen't like sleeping in sherts.  No-way!!!!!!!!!!  My brother likes playing with me.  All about my daddy:  My dad likes wakeing up early and pumkin seeds (sunflower seeds maybe) to eat and likes petting anners and shaving his berd.  And drinking coffee and waring slippers.  All about my mom:  my mommy likes anamils and waring hicing (hiking) boots and NOT hi-heels!! (she speaks the truth folks!).  She likes the dogs we have rocky and jack (we were dog-sitting).  My mom is thankful for what she has and cares for others and puts others before herself.  and she servs the LORD!!  My list of all the pritty thigs (pretty things):  the sun on the grass and dandalion flowers, the sound of trees rushing in the wind, everything warm and hot, and playing and lipstick and prpfum (perfume)."

After reading through her lists I felt like I had just witnessed something beautiful, another gift from God.  Seeing my daughter give thanks for all she has in this life.  I was grateful to have the moment, to slow down, to not miss seeing her process all the gifts that God has given her.  What an encouragement to me my 7 year old was that day to see that while I often see (and beat myself up about) some of the bad habits my kids pick up from me, they also are picking up good things as well.  I am not perfect but God has made me perfectly suited to mother the children He gave me.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Kids do see our good, bad, and ugly-but if most importantly they can see we love the Lord and we are trying to serve Him, that is all that matters. Good job mommy Sarah! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. what an amazing sight. she knows you have been keeping track of your thankfuls too! little sponges just soaking up the Jesus in us till Jesus is living in them! You are doing a great job momma! So proud!

    ReplyDelete