So not only did she want a very specific doll (which I am very excited that she picked one of the historical dolls) but she also wanted the bed that goes with it. Now, dropping over 100 dollars on a doll is one thing but to drop another 100 and some on a bed seemed like a lot. And we wanted her to earn a chunk of the money so that seemed like a lot for a 6 year old. We looked at the Target "Our Generation" Brand and those beds were nice but still 40 dollars...."Oh well....maybe next year" we said.
Until Hillbilly week hit.
Hillbilly week is what I am calling this great week in our new town. Don't misunderstand me, I mean "hillbilly" in the most affectionate way possible. Basically what happens is that whatever junk that you don't want anymore you put on the curb and the city schedules a day to pick it up. BUT...everybody puts their own "junk" on the curb a few days ahead of time and people just start cruising around the town and picking up what they would like to have. One man's junk is another man's treasure and that whole bit. People take this very seriously.....looking for things for themselves, scrap metal, things they can upcycle, etc. Many cruise around with huge trailers for all of their finds.
We put quite a bit out this year and only grabbed an outdoor rug our neighbor had junked UNTIL I found this gem on my neighbors yard....
Are you thinking what I'm thinking.....SCORE....American Girl Doll bed. Just needs a fresh coat of paint (which was also free since the former owners had left a bunch of white paint in our basement)
My dad came for the past few days to help paint our Master Bedroom (which I think turned out great) so he also helped by painting this project as well. Papa loves his Grand daughter!!
The "mattress" is a quilt we had at our house that had matching pillows. It looks a little more "antique" so it fits with Andie's choice of American Girl perfectly because she is from the early 1800's.
I did spend $2.80 at Target to get a few stickers for the bed.....
And the finished product!!
Getting the bed ready was always something I "had" to do before bringing a baby home. It just made me feel ready and prepared. So now we have the bed ready for Caroline to come home. Andie is over the moon excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment