Friday, May 3, 2013

Speeding up and slowing down

If you have been reading this blog you will notice a few themes in the past year....there are definitely a few that come to my mind and those are our move from Iowa to Minnesota and parenting (Isaac has been a main topic in that area lately).  Well....this entry is no different.  It has a little bit to do with those themes and a lot to do with some of the reflections that have been rolling around in my head these past weeks. 

Let the rambling ensue:

So....starting with our move.  Craig and I are both extroverts.  We feed off of the energy of meeting new people and being around close friends.  Since our move in November we have had to "slow down" in a lot of ways.  We have less friends and hardly any close friends so that has made our family time grow.  I think both Craig and I are afraid of being bored in some ways.  Our extroverted, event-driven selves thrive on the entertainment of going out and doing things and being around people.  Now, this is not bad in and of itself....but we all know it can get to be too much at times.  So we have had a "slow down" this winter and it was good for us to pause and reflect on how important just knocking around at the house is for our family.  Where else can our kids truly be themselves?  Where else can we deeply seed faith and family in to our children?  Home time....however scared I am of "being bored" and having "nothing to do"....is extremely important time.  It's where our kids are learning to be who they are and be comfortable in who they are and our family is learning to grow.

With that being said, I have noticed us speeding up again.  We have bible study's, Awanas, softball for Craig, serving projects for the kids and I, swim lessons, and then add in much needed cookouts and playdates with friends.  All of which are great in and of themselves but it can get to be too much at times. 

And I am just realizing just how fast these pre-school years go.  Isaac has only one year left at home before he is at school the majority of the day.  Andie is already there.  And Isaac has needed a lot of training lately.  I mean minute by minute training.  And then we had a fabulous week and a half with him.  I mean so wonderful.  I even had two of his teachers (Sunday school and Bible Study teacher) come up to me and tell me how wonderful he is....all the time.  I think one of the teachers even used the word "angelic".  REALLY.  WOW.  I was feeling pretty good about myself (and if I am being honest probably a little prideful).  Then I stopped......because yesterday, the very next day, I was brought back to reality.  We had a tough day.  And we had lots of things to do.  Some fun :  Children's museum.  Some boring:  getting paint for our bedroom makeover.    Some activities were planned to serve the Lord:  Bringing cards and singing and making bird feeders with the Senior Center down the street with two other moms from church.  Some physical activities:  Swim lessons. 

Really, really good things. Fun things, serving things, learning things, important things.  It was completely wonderful.

And Isaac did well for some of it but otherwise he just had a tough day.  Let's just say I wouldn't use the word "angelic"  to describe him most of yesterday.

It was time to slow down again.  So today we did "nothing".  And nothing felt really good.  All of the things we had done this week were so good but we needed a day of "nothing" where Isaac (and myself) could just be who we are, let our hair down, and enjoy each others company.

We had a tea party, had a "car wash" for his cars and raced them in the kitchen, the boys had a bath, we read books.  And it also was completely wonderful.  No pressure. No expectations. 








So in the Sanderson house we have had an unofficial Pizza, Popcorn and Family movie night Fridays.  Well...we are making it official.  Between other important things going on other nights....we need to make an official date night for the house.  An "untouchable" night for just us. 

So I am curious blog friends....what do you do to slow down as a family?  I could use some more ideas on this one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment