Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tour de Minnesota - Part 1

I have such great memories of touring Minnesota by way of the state parks as a child.  I can remember buying the (super economical) state parks pass and then having a vacation of touring many of the different state parks.  I loved it and it was a great way to see the diversity of this state.  We thoroughly enjoyed the (free!) state parks of Iowa but really only visited one or two in our area.  We didn't fully take advantage of having free state parks.

For mother's day Craig and the kids got me a state parks sticker so we can go to any of the state parks as often as we would like.  Now, any one who knows me well knows that this gift is right up my alley....good job Craig!! 

So this past Saturday of Memorial Weekend dawned a little cold and wet BUT just warm enough to tour our first state park.  . Down a hill/ravine, over a river and through some woods....to Minneopa State Park we go!!  Honestly, I was a little skeptical because I didn't know how it would be too much different from all the other city and county parks that are wonderful around here....lots of trails, trees, hills, creeks to stomp in.  The city and county parks are really great...how different could this State park be?

Well.....the county and city parks don't have this for one thing.....

Minneopa means "water falling twice"  (two water falls)

We were able to hike down right next to the falls.....81 steps down...thank you Craig for always keeping track of things like that (that is so not me)


The kids parked it half way down in an old cavern that had been carved out by water....


And to the falls we go.....


My four favorite people......




And the crown jewel....standing next to the falls.
 
The water was a little too cold for wading and swimming today.  I think we definitely will go creek walking in this place and spend plenty of summer days here with a picnic.  I was pleasantly surprised at this state park.  Blew away my expectations.  Don't know what park we will travel to next but Minneopa State Park....yep, I'm a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment