Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Early Bird gets the Berry

\



I put "berry picking" on our summer fun list without really knowing if it was a possibility or not.  It just sounded like something we would really like to do.  But once I put it on there, my oldest did not forget about it, so to the Internet I went in search of local "u-pick" sites.  I found two great ones.  One is excellent for any state, county, etc and the other is even better and easier but it is just Minnesota u-pick sites.  Either site was really great and helpful though so search away if you are thinking of going strawberry picking.

Since we moved here 7 months ago, I feel that we are constantly "exploring".  I have been blessed to meet another mom that is always up for adventures.....so I asked if they wanted to come pick berries with us.  The early bird definitely gets the worm when it comes to strawberry picking.  We started out at 7:00. (they opened at 7:00)  Arrived at the farm around 7:45 (with just one 10 min detour when I got turned around...which was pretty good considering we were out in the country....I usually seem to have a little "detour" my first time exploring a new place....comes with the territory I guess) and the field was hopping!!  We hit the first day of picking so LOTS of people were excited about getting out and picking strawberries since the season has been so late this year!!  We were the youngest families by 30 or so years but as we were leaving I could see a few more families coming.   

They gave us our basket, showed us our row, gave us a few instructions and we were off.  My kids loved it!  We had about 1/3 of a row and we could pick both sides so I let them run up and down the row picking the juiciest berries they could find.




I told them to not eat "too many" because I wanted to make sure we paid for all our berries.   They were pretty good about it but what is strawberry picking without a little eating right?
 Don't they just look awesome.  They were some of the juiciest, sweetest berries I have ever tasted.  There is nothing like popping a big old strawberry in your mouth in the middle of a field at 8:00 in the morning when the sky is THIS blue!



The kids quickly found all the strawberries on the edges but then learned to look in the middle for some of our best finds!

 




 We picked a carton full.  9lbs worth....can you believe it.  The other mom I came with picked about 12 lbs.  It is very easy to pick that many berries.  I thought we would pick about 6 lbs. but it is hard to leave big, juicy berries behind when you are there.  We picked for about an hour, paid for our berries and then just sat on the hill and enjoyed them for a bit




Afterwards we stopped at a fan favorite park on the way home to picnic, run, play in the mud, chat, catch and release butterflies, and creek walk.
 Andie with her butterfly....she was very gentle and enjoyed releasing it as much as she did catching it.

No need for a fancy salon and high priced "mud" treatments....thank you nature!


Lots of rain this year.  The "creek" is looking more like a river!  My kids still loved it!



All in all it was a great day.  We experienced something new together, ate (and are still eating) lots of yummy strawberries, enjoyed some "free play" time at a park and took great naps!!  I HIGHLY recommend strawberry picking for kids and it will be an annual "summer fun" activity here!

No comments:

Post a Comment