Thursday, January 1, 2015

First Day hike

All around the country and in a lot of state parks they have this event on January 1st called a "first day hike".  Now, you know me.  This is an event for me.  Last year we were stuck inside because of all the cold/sickness and this year I thought we would try to make our first "first day hike" at our local state park.  I am pleased to announce that for the first time in the history of us having children, our children slept in after staying up late the night before and we completely missed the organized "first day hike" at our local state park. 

So we arranged our own first day hike at another state park 25 minutes away.  We have camped a few times and swam often at this state park in the summer but we have not taken a single hiking trail and we decided to start 2015 out hiking at this park.  

The sun was out AND it was warm.  It has seemed to be one or the other these days, making for a beautiful, sunny hike, full of vitamin D we have been craving.  No one else was in the park or on the trail when we started, making for some awesome, somewhat peaceful (with 3 kids it can't be too peaceful) hiking.



I love the bare trees against a blue sky and snowy path.  I just start itching to get out and enjoy this path again when I see the picture.  Reminds me of this Anne Frank quote I saw once and loved and then had to look up again as I sit and write this:

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.
Anne Frank

Well we were alone with the heavens and nature and God today....and my new thermos full of hot chocolate.



We found a peaceful spot to drink our cocoa and drink in the blue skies, the river still freezing over, the sun on our cheeks.




All was quiet and still until the kids were ready for some jumping and more climbing.



I cannot think of a better way to start 2015 for our family.  I will happily think back to this day in the coming weeks as highs hover around zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment