Friday, June 27, 2014

Sweet strawberry time

Nothing signals the start of summer more for me than strawberry season.  Even though the last two years the season has started late....it still tells me.....IT's SUMMERTIME!!!  We started the tradition last year and we all just loved spending a morning driving out in the country, picking berries, and then eating strawberries for the next 4 days constantly.  The kids have been asking me when we can go pick strawberries since summer began.  I knew with our Duluth trip and our upcoming 2nd annual "Midwest Tour" adding on my brothers wedding that strawberry picking would have to be squeezed in a small window.  And today was the day.

The awesome farm I found last year decided not to do U-pick this year....bummer.  We could still go buy strawberries at the farm but my kids really enjoyed the picking last year so I went back to the computer to research a bit more and found another farm about 50 minutes away.  Perfect distance for a little road trip.  I called my parents on my way out of town and they asked....don't you ever just stay at home :) (well my dad said that).  Yes! We spent the last two days taking neighborhood walks, park playdates, biking, in the house time so it was time for a little adventure.  Today dawned a little overcast and rainy but the forecast did not call for rain this morning at our strawberry patch SO.......

Off to see the Strawberry patch!

9:00 we pull in and the patch was busy but not crazy!!

 I reviewed the rules with them:  Big red berries, we have one row so half the plants on either side, look underneath to find the bigger berries and the middle, and this years rule (which I learned from last year) you go first and I will come after you (to pick up any you miss)

My pickers ready to go!!


Getting into our lane.....


Caleb is not so sure about this whole thing this year.


And we are picking.  Just look at Isaac's form.  That is the form of seasoned picker, looking way down into the plant.


We ALWAYS pick more than I anticipate.  I guess we will come home with 8 lbs.  We picked 12!  It's hard to stop when they are red and juicy and delicious.
 Our loot!!


First tastes....Nothing sweeter than summertime and strawberries.


I learned my lesson from last year though, I now know that we will probably only eat 6-8 pounds of the strawberries fresh and then get sick of them.   So while Caleb napped and Andie and Isaac sat in their fort, eating strawberries and talking about life I started to freeze a few pounds of strawberries.  I then cut up a few cups of them and mixed them with fresh rhubarb and put together a crisp for tonight.  My kitchen window was open at the time, someone was mowing their lawn, Andie and Isaac's laughter drifted in and my hands were full of strawberry juice.  One of those moments that you just want to freeze it is so perfect and picturesque and summery.

No comments:

Post a Comment