So we are so not jet-setters. Nope, not even a little bit. If we can't drive there feasibly or camp there, chances are slim we will go. That is how we are usually. However, a few months ago we received an invitation to a wedding for a friend we swam with in college....in BOSTON. Oh how fun. Ha....we will never be able to go. Oh but wait....Papa and Nana will come watch the kids for a weekend while we jet set to somewhere cool.
No....we still hemmed and hawed about it because that is how we are. Even though we have the money in the bank....we can't drive there and we can't camp there....
But in the end we decided to go for it. And I am so very glad we did. I have never been to New England East Coast. Never been anywhere on the east coast really....and it was a really cool place to have a little date weekend.
Before we left, the kids had a fun run at school. I ran with both of them which only equaled about 3 miles but then we took off IMMEDIATELY for the airport. Yep, I was jet-setting without a shower and with a little "sweat" smell. I kept saying to Craig "Can't you smell me....cause I can" Probably super romantic for him. Just trying to keep it real.
This is honestly one of my favorite pictures with my mom....love your smile here mom!!
And landing in Boston, first time on the Subway system. Craig has been here twice. The novelty was starting to wear off at the end but I had fun riding the rails for 2 days.
Dinner at 9:00 just because we could. One happy Midwest, lobster-loving girl here with her Lobster roll....seriously, still dreaming about this one. So good.
Next morning we had a little time to ourselves before we had to get fancy. So we checked out Boston Common and some of the surrounding area:
If you can't tell I am in love with the streets here, red brick, tall homes, flowers in the window, lanterns as street lights....love love love. So quaint.
For lunch we decided to stop at a place close to our hotel we saw on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Boston Burger Company did not disappoint. The burgers were as big as our heads and delicious. Only downside was I had to zip into my little black dress 30 minutes later and since I just packed carry-on there was no "plan B" dress. Plan A Little black dress had to work even with a burger the size of my head in my belly.
Us trying to be fancy at the Harvard Club, for the reception.
Decided fancy wasn't working and Craig got called up by the groom to bust his best move.
So he did:
Wedding was great but when everyone went out afterwards (at 9:00) we went to bed....why? Because Sunday was "our day" in Boston. The one where Craig said we could do whatever I wanted. So we started early on the freedom trail. Bunker Hill was the First stop. I cannot even get over how cute Charlestown was.
Bunker Hill: "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"
And we picked up the "red brick road" freedom trail and followed it to some more history sites. Yes, I was totally singing "follow the red brick road" here. I am an unashamed tourist.
USS Constitution "Old Ironsides"
Old North Church, Paul Revere's famous lantern ride "One if by land, two if by sea". Old North Church in the background was one of my favorite stops. It is a operating church today and a choir was practicing when we stopped, filling the whole church. I sat in a pew and just contemplated how many people over how many years worshipped God here. It was pretty powerful.
We then strolled through the North End (Italian district) which was my favorite. Cobblestone every where, holding Craig's hand, Italian bistros opening up for lunch.
I am so not a history buff but being in Boston really makes all those "stories" I learned in school so long ago come alive. I am by no means a "city girl" but LOVED hanging out in Boston for a few days. It didn't hurt that it was beautiful and we had loads of good food either. We were able to do a boat ride that night as well.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....the kids and my parents were having a good old time of it.....
So the kids had a blast...they are still talking about their weekend with Papa and Nana. My parents had a great time (after they got a nap in when they got home I bet!) and we had a really refreshing weekend as a couple. Boston for the win!
No comments:
Post a Comment