I read the above quote on the National Parks Facebook page. It is an anonymous quote and I love it. I feel like it sums up our April pretty well around here. This has been our first spring (in the three springs we have been in MN) that it has been warm and no real snow in April....hallelujah! Here are some of my favorite pictures from our explores this month:
The next few pictures have a little story behind them. Craig and I put a little wager on our March Madness brackets this year. He came up with it because I think he genuinely thought he would win (which he usually does). But it was a great year for someone like myself....a person with little basketball knowledge that really plays by the rankings....to win. Our wager was that the winner could have a day "to do whatever they would like." I think he imagined himself playing golf, followed by watching some golf, then taking a nap. Unfortunately for him, I pulled out the big win. This beautiful April day was filled with an early morning run for me, followed by some time around the house, a bike ride/explore as a family, and finally ending the night on a coffee date with a good friend. Oh....and Craig made all the meals (on our grill). Here are some pictures of our bike ride....we did a little trail biking then found an easy dirt path, let the older two explore a fun area while Caleb snoozed for a bit.
Its funny to see how much things have even changed from those pictures a month ago and how fast things have greened up and leafed out since then.
Next up, we took Craig's parents on a favorite explore of ours in a local state park. This trail is off the beaten path a bit but a favorite. The kids have to do quite a bit of scrambling down and up a hill but they need to do some prep for the mountains this summer....especially Caleb....he is just starting to hike without being held on a consistent basis.
Isaac looks dangerously close to the edge but don't worry mom and dad, there was another space below him if he fell....he wouldn't have fallen far!!
Andie, on the other hand, learned a very valuable lesson this morning on making sure if you can get down that you will also be able to get back up. I had to get down and talk her through it and there were a few tears of nervousness but in the end she made it up smiling......
And my favorite story from the month is about Caleb....I have no where else to write this one except here where I know I can read it in years to come. This is Caleb's first time really potty trained while we are out in the woods. He has had a few opportunities to use the "green door" bathroom out in the woods and we show him how to find a spot, do your business, then cover it up. The other day, after school, our kids were all in the backyard. When I looked out of the window I could not see Caleb. I came out and he was building with rocks next to the house (still in the backyard just not visible from my window). "That looks neat, what are you building Caleb?" I asked.
"I am covering up my poop mom" is what he told me. Sure enough, I took a closer look and under a meticulously crafted pile of rocks was a nice pile of poop as well. I would have been super impressed if we had been out in the woods.....but we had to have a discussion about using bathrooms when they are accessible.
So we have been enjoying our April playing outside of the box!
No comments:
Post a Comment